Monday, October 3, 2016

Open All Night


Here in the dark I cherish the moonlight;  the sky spins around w her diamonds on fire.

The moon must've felt my eyes gazing in the night and broke the silence asking "What's on the docket tonight? "

"Just my own sin." I said continuing "I got my heart up in a beautiful mess. I should’ve known better to wreck myself or to gamble while broke. I traded two steps forward for three steps back. Why do you think we prefer known hells to unknown heavens?"

"Craig - I can understand you need a minute to breathe and to sew up the seams, after all this defeat. You need to know what's beautiful is broken and grace is just the measure of a fall." The moon said.

"Moon, did you have it out for us? And the night and the stars the same? Did everything she touch turn to stone or die eventually? Or was it never seen the same again? I watched her steal the air, right from the atmosphere. Yeah, and this heart I had, she could never sympathize.  And while she held my hand…..I think I witnessed a crime.”. I whispered in the darkness.

“It's plain for me to see that now you're wide-eyed with a heart made full of fright and your eyes follow like tracers in the night. Sheltered, you try to keep the wolf back from the door but he wanders ever closer every night. And now he waits.....baying for blood.
 “The moon insisted and then explained “Your task is not to seek love, but merely seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.”

“Then can you tell me why it seems everybody that I’ve ever known, they just ache all night and they wake up alone.
 We wait in the dark for something to put us to sleep. We want love like it was a drug. But all I want is a little relief. Every heart I’ve held since….they were just painkillers to me. And now because of the shame associated with vulnerability, I am numbing myself completely. I have pills for this, tabs for that and something that used to resemble a soul. She was much in my hands as water or darkness or nothing can ever be held. I guess in life, it's just flashes that we own. Little snapshots, made of breath and of bone. And out here, in the dark,  alone…..they light up the sky.

I guess all this must've been comin' a long, long time, 39 years of nerves on fire. Nobody came and nobody saw; I made a wreck of myself with the headlights on.” I said.


"Lucky for you I'm open all night" the moon replied.

"Yea, but You can't make me whole" I said. "I have to find that on my own."

Somewhere along....something went off and I woke up with blood on my lips.

No comments:

Post a Comment